Saturday, May 17, 2014

Helping Missionaries Become Spiritually Awake (Day 2)

Alright, so day two of the missionary experience was really great, especially since we were able to participate in PI.  I had two revelations about helping missionaries become spiritually awake through the experiences that I had:
1) I came to understand that Progressing Investigator is everything when it comes to having a sense of urgency as a missionary.  I felt like I was really motivated to learn and become a better missionary so that I would be able to really help my progressing investigator Brian.  We have to help missionaries learn to love and really feel a desire to help the people they will teach at the MTC.  As we discussed this a bit more with teachers in my zone, we realized that the teaching experiences that missionaries have at the MTC determine their ability to live and become their purpose.  We should help missionaries teach a lesson everyday, if possible.  We imagined what it would be like out in the field if, one day, a set of missionaries had a day where they planned on teaching nobody, not even street contacting or finding people to teach.  Would they really be fulfilling their purpose?  The answer is obvious, but does the same apply to missionaries in the MTC?  If they take a day off from teaching will they really be able to fulfill their purpose?  I think this is an important question for us to consider.
2) Another thing I experienced was that it is easier to feel motivated and spiritually awake when those around you (your district) are spiritually awake.  The district I am participating in is really on top of things and really seems to be invested in everything that they are doing.  They share great insights and show a deep understanding of what they are learning.  Because of this their is an environment of powerful spiritual learning that helps me to want to be better as well.  I believe if this isn't happening we need to begin helping this to occur one missionary at a time.  This preferably will happen with the district leader, and we can branch out from their to really help motivate individual missionaries that will then turn around and motivate others in their district.
          - Side note with this: I noticed that when others around me are really living their purpose it helps me to do so as well.  However, I have noticed one Elder in the district who feels a bit left out because he doesn't feel like he is on the same spiritual level as the other missionaries.  This is where I feel it is important to really help this Elder understand what a truly successful missionary is, and how he can feel the approval of the Lord no matter what level he feels like he is on.

No comments: