Alright mighty Zone of Zenos, This is the Place! To write the changes you are seeing in your lives that reflect your a) greater understanding of the fundamentals and b) the power you are obtaining by implementing them into your everyday life.
As we have mentioned, you are asked to only share what you are comfortable sharing. However, bare in mind your experiences have the ability to inspire everyone else who will read this.
At the beginning of each weekly post please put your name and the fundamental we focused on.
3 comments:
We invite, they commit, we follow up is probably one of my favorite fundamentals (definitely in the top 8 for sure!!!).
I am in the Elder's Quorum presidency of my ward, and home teaching went great the first month, but for October it was horrendous (I think that is the spelling...) Anyways...This month, on the first Sunday I was teaching and I decided to improve on my "following up." I extended a commitment for everyone to get their home teaching done by the 2nd week of this month so that we can have everything taken care of before Thanksgiving break. They accepted the commitment and now the ball is back in my court. Whenever I see a member of the quorum this week I have a goal to ask them about their home teaching, either if it is done, or if they have an appointment. So far it has been great and the results are actually starting to come in!!!!
This fundamental is not just for missionary work, it can be applied in the workplace, at home, and at school!!!!
-Brandon Winters
We invite, They commit, We follow Up
I've been thinking about how I can utilize this fundamental more frequently in my life, and I would like to share an experience that I had this past week.
My brother received his call to the Tokyo Japan Mission and will be entering the MTC on January 1, 2014. He came to my quite a while ago and asked if I would go through PMG with him for a little bit each morning. I said that I would but alas, we've hardly done anything together. He invited, I committed, but he has not followed up.
With my increased testimony of the importance of this fundamental, I went to him and reminded him of his invitation. He said, "Oh yes, I would like to do that." The roles have been reversed; I invited, he committed.
I have given him something to study each morning and then follow up with him at the end of the day (or the next morning) to talk about what he learned. I have been impressed with what he has brought to the table and it has blessed both of our lives.
God is good and these are inspired fundamentals!!
-Amanda Wilkinson
We invite, They commit, We follow up:
I had a really cool/humbling experience with this principle last week. I am in the Relief Society Presidency in my ward. I decided to take this fundamental to the next level and extend an appropriate commitment conducive to the lesson (including living the Law of Chastity) to all of the Relief Society sisters after every lesson that I conducted for. At first, they looked at me like I was crazy. I thought I was for a moment to apply my mission/mtc employment to my church service. However, they started telling me how much they loved it because it brought them to the next level of not only hearing the word, but living it as well.
Now for the humbling experience. I was in charge of a training for teaching all of the visiting teaching supervisors about visiting teaching. I was struggling as to how to lift their vision for many of these girls are young and spiritually immature.
I hadn't taken the time before the training to gage the level at which I should train them. At one point, I gave them a paper with specific questions to answer. I invited them to seek revelation as they listened to Julie Beck and write down the revelation that they received. Not a one of them wrote anything on their paper.
I was a little disgruntled that my efforts to lift their vision hadn't gone as planned. When evaluating with the Relief Society mentor after the meeting, we talked about how the girls didn't write anything down. Then she told me that most of these girls don't know how to seek revelation; they don't know what that feels like. I had assumed that they knew how to gain the revelation necessary to raise their vision. I learned the importance of teaching towards invitations at that moment. That yes, we need to give invitations that will help them stress, but they need to understand the doctrine behind the invitations as well.
Post a Comment