Saturday, May 11, 2013

Perception of Study Time

I have noticed through floating time and observing many missionaries that too often there's a trend of decreasing excitement and enthusiasm for study time even in just the two weeks that they are here at the MTC.  I am trying to figure out where that shift takes place from enthusiasm and desire that they tend to have in the beginning to the point where they feel that personal study time means casual district discussion or hanging out in the hall by the bathrooms or lobby areas.  I don't know exactly how I want to go about doing all of this yet, so any ideas and suggestions would be welcome!  I know that if we can help missionaries to really understand the purpose of studies and study effectively, they will be able to grow so much more and be much more powerful when they enter the field.  If you have any thoughts or observations from your district let me know.  Thanks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think every teacher has come across this before. If we can keep in mind the entire schedule of our missionaries then we'll know how to best help them use this time.
For example, in the first few days of their stay, missionaries typically have about 7-8 hours of study. Many teachers forget this. If a missionary is anything like me when I first entered the MTC, I think the most I'd ever studied the scriptures in one sitting was probably an hour. Thankfully, the new MTC orientation helps structure some of this study time for them, but it can't solely be the responsibility of the zone resource. Teachers need to be aware of "what's next" for their missionaries (both in the curriculum and their personal progress) so that they can help structure it, especially in the beginning. And hopefully, if we've enabled learning, then the missionaries can become self-sustaining in their studies as they go along in their journey at the MTC, and they own their study time.